Monday, March 15, 2010

thoughts on a monday

today's word of advice: try not to get dependent on sleeping with white noise. i, at some point early on in my life, got used to sleeping with a fan on in my room - and ever since it's been one of the few things that low maintenance me can't live without. we lost all power for 24 hours this weekend, which means no fans, which means no deep sleep for me. tom always told me that he thought it was mainly in my head... maybe he believes me now?? maybe not. i finally stole the boys' battery powered noise machine at 6 am in desperation. i'm embarrassed that it really even bothered me but in the middle of the night it felt like a crisis... as almost everything does to me in the middle of the night. the normal choices i make to obey or to surrender are way, way harder during the night - all the other voices seem louder and my pity party voices fight hard to win! they just might have won the other night, in fact....i was definitely pity partying. and patient Tom let me.
but the most exciting thing in the midst of our adventurous blackout was the fact that we have a gas stove so i was still able to make Chicago Deep Dish Style Pizza. please try it. really... so amazing. America's Test Kitchen tries each recipe hundreds, literally hundreds of different ways to find the best - and we, the home cooks, get to benefit from it. so, so delicious, and it makes enough to have leftovers the next day. yum.
the blackout was fun - tom and i honestly enjoy spontaneous adventures or changes in our normal routine so we had fun. but i was happy when the lights came back on - really only because of the food in our fridge and my sleeping dilemna. how do i get myself off the fan? any advice?

Justus got a little (emphasis on little) "Dora" toy that he
loves to hug.... but can you find her? she's nestled in
between his shoulder and cheek! such a snugglebug!

Simeon finally got some big boy sheets and now loves
being tucked in - even for naptime on Mommy and Daddy's bed.

and i must say that i love the spring daylight savings.... i know that most are sad to lose one hour of sleep but many of us with little ones that wake up with the sun are happy to gain one hour... every day!
a few more for my list...
10)being dealt a new hand of cards in a card game
11)sleeping to the noise of a fan
12)trying a new recipe
13)first thing in the morning hugs
14)The Trumpet Child cd - Over the Rhine

"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins"
I Peter 3:8

...on my heart today. how often do i find it to be my place to correct, to judge, to "lovingly guide"... when really its about love. God's got it under control, and He's asked me to love. Oh to be known for really loving people... not out of selfishness but out of selflessness.
Without love I am nothing.

3 comments:

Sweet Treats and Baby Feet said...

I LOVE JUSTUS!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for those thoughts about love. so great and so TRUE! love you! ~bethany

Anonymous said...

From jojo:
I love your boys. I'm with you on the fan thing. A new hand of cards in rook is the best. And thanks for the verse. I prayed that very thing this morning. :) love you.