Friday, January 3, 2014

Mulligatawny Soup

Everybody has their own definition of "comfort food". This is mine.It is our favorite recipe. I love cooking, cookbooks, cooking magazines, and finding new recipes is one of my very happiest things.This is my best one. And this soup and this weather are a perfect combination.We were given a copy of The Joy of Cooking as a wedding gift from Tom's sister and brother-in-law, and there were a few recipes throughout that Carrie had marked with a tiny black asterisk. And one day, probably about 5 years ago, I noticed this little star and decided to give it a try. It's perfect. Please try it.  If you make it successfully, and don't like it, well then we have different palates. And sadly, you're missing out. I've changed a few small things, so this version is my own, perfect mulligatawny soup.  (I've seen other recipes with this name that don't seem at all like this, so I'm not sure of its authenticity, but I'm ok with that).         PS: Don't leave out the Granny Smith apples.  They are worth an extra little trip to the store if you happen to forget them.


Mulligatawny soup 
About 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced 
1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 Tbsp curry powder
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt
1 can coconut milk 
Hot cooked rice
Chopped Granny Smith apples 

Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a soup pot or Dutch oven. 
Add sliced onion, and cook, stirring now and then, until golden brown - 7 or 8 minutes.
Add garlicginger and curry powder - cook and stir for about 30 seconds.
(This part needed a picture.  When it looks like this, the aroma is like no other. Your whole house will smell heavenly)
Add the chicken, along with 2 Tbsp of water.Cook, stirring, until chicken loses its raw color, 3 to 4 minutes. 
Stir in chicken stock and salt.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and summer until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Add a can of coconut milk and summer for a few more minutes, just to heat through. 
Serve over hot rice. Garnish with chopped Granny Smith apples.

We ate it tonight after a chilly snowy day, and we are happy:)


4 comments:

adriana willey said...

I went on here to read your post and found two!! Happy day. You made us this when we were settling into the house on 8th street and it is as yummy as you say. I have the little piece of paper with this recipe on it in my cookbook and we use it when we're in food ruts. And I'm happy you are back on here, sharing your different kinds of happy. I love swapping happies :)

Elisabeth said...

I remember that like it wasn't that long ago. It makes me happy that you enjoy it too:) and I hope you know that you're one of my biggest inspirations to blog

Jill said...

I have been trying to comment forever but that word you have to type for security won't let me on my phone. Anyway, you this is a fav of mine. I remember when you made it for me. Somehow it's always better when you make it then when I do!
xoxoxoxoxo

adriana willey said...

I didn't know that! That's funny since I never do it anymore...and you are my inspiration to start up again. I love how you are back into small glimpses in and not needing big epic posts after months...I want to get there too.